President Tinubu Sets To Releases New Ambassadorial List
President Bola Tinubu is finalising a revised list of ambassadorial nominees after months of diplomatic gaps and pressure over Nigeria’s vacant foreign missions
Bola Tinubu is set to conclude the long-delayed appointment of ambassadors to Nigeria’s foreign missions, following months of diplomatic vacuum and pressure over the absence of envoys abroad.
Multiple Presidency sources confirmed that the President has ordered a “final cleanup” of the ambassadorial list, which has been under review since several nominees on the earlier roster either died, retired, or became ineligible.
“It is going to be concluded very soon,” one senior official told The PUNCH on Monday, revealing that the process was now in its final stages.
Another official explained that the Senate had already screened the original nominees months ago, but revisions became necessary due to changes in eligibility.
“The earlier list is outdated. Some of the nominees have passed away, others have taken new appointments or retired. The cleanup ensures only qualified names remain,” the source said.
Bola Tinubu recalled all ambassadors from Nigeria’s 109 foreign missions in September 2023 as part of a broad diplomatic overhaul. Since then, most missions have been led by chargés d’affaires — officials with limited authority to represent the country in sensitive negotiations.
Foreign-service insiders have voiced growing concern overl the delay, warning that Nigeria’s absence of ambassadors weakens its diplomatic influence at a time of increasing global engagement.
“Foreign governments don’t accord the same weight to chargés d’affaires as to ambassadors,” one senior diplomat said. “Appointing substantive envoys is crucial now.”
The renewed urgency follows rising diplomatic tension triggered by former U.S. President Donald Trump’s inflammatory comments threatening military intervention in Nigeria over alleged religious violence.
Presidency officials insisted the situation was not caused by the lack of ambassadors but conceded that envoys could have eased communication during such crises.
Sources added that the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, was expected to meet Bola Tinubu at the State House on Tuesday to discuss final adjustments to the list. “Once the President signs off, it will be announced immediately,” a senior aide confirmed.
Earlier reports indicated that security vetting and background checks were completed in April 2025, but funding constraints delayed the rollout. More than $1bn is reportedly required to settle outstanding allowances, upgrade diplomatic facilities, and replace aging vehicles.
Presidency appears determined to end the long wait. With the cleanup nearly done, Bola Tinubu is expected to unveil the long-awaited ambassadorial appointments in the coming days — a decisive step in restoring Nigeria’s diplomatic presence worldwide.
