FG Stops LASG Demolitions In Lagos Trade Fair Complex

0

Lagos State Government was on Thursday stopped by the Federal Government on it’s continues plan to demolish what it termed illegal and unsafe structures at the Trade Fair Complex in Ojo, again faced stiff opposition from the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investments. There had been a similar invasion more than one year ago and it was halted by the same Federal Ministry.

Recall that the Lagos International Trade Fair Complex Management Board (LITFCMB) is a full-fledged agency of the Ministry and has full departments in charge of building approvals and supervision according to the law establishing the agency inside the ministry.

By this situation, analysts say there is no need for the state government to force itself inside a system that has every building approval, supervision and control department to avoid duplication and managment confusion.
Apparently without knowing this, or to show overzealousness, several land related agencies of the Lagos State government have momentarily been trying to assume control of the complex, knowing full well that it has been under the federal ministry which has every development control department monitoring building activities in the complex since 1977, the complex was commissioned.
Commenting on the demolitions, Senior Special Assistant on New Media to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Jubril Gawat, who confirmed the exercise in a post on X, said the operation was targeted at “illegal developments, structures without statutory approvals, defective structures, and buildings erected on road setbacks and drainages.”

According to him, the government could no longer fold its arms while unapproved developments blocked critical infrastructure and endangered lives.

“The Lagos State Government has begun removal of illegal developments, structures without statutory approvals and defective structures, and structures built on road setback and drainages in the Trade Fair Complex, Ojo Local Government area,” Gawat said.

The operation was jointly carried out by the Ministry of Physical Planning, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Lagos State Urban Renewal Agency, and the Lagos State Physical Planning Permit Authority.
Also present were the Office of Infrastructure, members of the Lagos State House of Assembly, and security agencies who provided backup during the exercise.
Whereas it was not clear if the Governor’s aide and leaders of the demolition exercise were aware of the powers of the LITFCMB regarding building control, Bulldozers were seen pulling down marked structures, while some traders and shop owners looked on with concern over the impact on their businesses.
Areas touched during the attempted to demolition by the LASG on Thursday, Sept. 25, 2025
However, Business Hilights gathered that further demolition of structures was halted after several high-powered telephone calls were made to Abuja and Alausa.

A massive plazas belonging to Magnum Group and others have been defaced. It was not however clear if the demolition team will come back having left by an order from above.

However, this evening, Business Hilights gathered from ASPMDA President in a telephone interview that “We the stakeholders are having meeting with the management this evening and that is where am going to now”.

Earlier in the afternoon, the SA to the ED/CEO of the complex, Barr. Fatima has informed our correspondent that everything has been under control and efforts are on to end the matter for the interest of complex peace and progress.
Efforts to get the views of the Chiarman of Trade Fair Stakeholders Forum, who doubles as the President of Association of Progressive Traders (APT), Chief Eric Ilechukwu failed at press time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *